Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling
I have recently discovered canning. I always wanted to try it, but was very afraid as I had seen many scary stories about pressure cookers not working properly. After doing a lot of research, I found a pressure cooker I felt safe with (link below). It was so much easier than I thought!
As long as directions are followed, there is no reason things should go wrong, as a scaredy cat; I approve this product 😉
The first recipe I tried is this Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling, and let me tell you; we ALL loved it!
If you try this, let me know how you liked it!
This recipe yields 2 quarts to make larger batches simply multiply the recipe ingredients as needed
1 quart = one 9 inch pie
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1teaspoons salt
- 1.5 quarts water
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 quarts of apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 16 medium apples)
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt together in a large stock pot.
- Stir in water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Fill your sterilized canning jars leaving about a half an inch open at the top.
- Wipe rim of each jar before capping with new lids, and clean rings.
- Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes or if using the Freshtech Ball Canning System process them on the jellies setting and use level 2.
Do you can? If so, what are your favorites? Any tips you’d like to share with a first timer?
If you don’t can, why not start?