Being a mom means you are on duty 24/7, but being a mom to 6 kids can make life a little crazy without some success tips! When you have one kid who needs to go to practice, another in trouble at school, and one in diapers, you may feel like a total failure. But, all moms go through the exact same trials just in different ways, so here are 8 success tips for busy moms that can make you feel like a total winner!
- Remember It is All Normal: What you feel, what you’re going through, and how your kids act is all normal! Seriously, if you talk to other moms, they have the same challenges and it’s important to remember that when you feel down about yourself. You are doing the best that you can, and your children couldn’t ask for a better mom if they tried. Give yourself some credit.
- Use a Calendar: When you have a million things going on in one day, remember, you are NOT super mom! It is nearly impossible to remember every single thing for every single person in your household without writing it down. Big refrigerator calendars are a great way to keep everything organized.
- Write it Down ASAP: When you get a letter from the school, a call from the doctor, or a bill in the mail, write it on the calendar as soon as you get it. If you are anything like me, you think “oh I will write it down later,” and then when later comes you can’t remember what you did with the paper or what the doctor said. Make a point to get in the habit of writing everything on the calendar as soon as you possibly can to limit the stress in your life.
- Make a Chore Chart: Yes, making a chart is going to take a little extra time, but it is going to save you so much more time later on. Children of all ages (including husbands) are capable of helping around the house. From having little toddler dusters to a vacuuming 10-year-old, there is plenty around your house for your kids to do. Schedule chores for each member of the house to do, including you, for each day of the week. You can even include a little reward system if they do their chores without being asked. This will save you time and arguments.
- Do Family Meetings: Family meetings don’t happen often enough! With work, kids, and the business of life, it is hard to find time to sit down together and have a conversation. Here’s the thing, children need boundaries and they need parents that communicate clearly. If lessons and life talks are always done on the run, life can get a little more challenging. Make a list of things you need to talk about and discuss them at the family meeting. Make sure to schedule this time on your calendar and stick to it.
- Be Consistent: Ok mom’s this is the toughie! We love our kiddos and it’s so hard to give them consequences without first giving them like a hundred chances. However, if you want to have success in the mommy area, it is important to be consistent. Make consequences for poor behavior and stick to it. Kids will be able to tell how far they can push based on how many chances you give them. If you expect them to behave a certain way and they don’t be consistent with an immediate consequence. In the long run, this will limit the number of times you will need to discipline your children.
- Take Time: Again, moms are not super-human, and as a mom you need a break every now and then. Even if your breaks are only a few times a year, schedule a time for yourself to recuperate. Whether you go out with a friend, take a spa day, or spend the night in a hotel by yourself, it is taking the time to rejuvenate not only is good for you, but it makes you a better mommy for your kids.
Life with kids has its ups and downs, and twists and twirls, but you remember you are a great mom!